Utah County 4-H is seeking a qualified and passioned youth program assistant to lead the Science, Technology, Engineering, Agriscience, & Mathematics community programming initiative in Utah County.
The part-time (20 hours/week) STEAM Program Assistant will provide community programs in local libraries throughout Utah County to youth ages 8-18 utilizing a variety of resources and materials. The STEAM Program assistant will travel to the locations per a defined schedule to facilitate experiences and activities. Knowledge of a wide range of STEAM topics , the skills to teach those topics, and the ability to positively interact with youth to encourage and develop interest, foster growth, and encourage topic exploration is critical to the success of the position. Programming includes all activities that encourage or develop problem-solving skills, computational-thinking, communication skills, and knowledge of STEAM content area. The STEAM Program Assistant must be comfortable driving a University vehicle and pulling a trailer as needed.
This STEAM Program Assistant is primarily an after school position with a work window of 1-6pm. Occasional Saturday work may be requested to support general 4-H events or programming.
Responsibilities include, but is not limited to:
• Planning and facilitating weekly or bi-weekly STEAM learning experiences
• Preparing materials and equipment for learning experiences
• Manage and maintain STEAM devices and equipment; running updates, repairs, etc. as needed
• Supporting the development, promotion, and management of the 4-H Mini Tinker Lab
• Facilitating STEAM based youth camps during holidays, breaks, and summers
• Support the general 4-H program and events as needed
• Attend 4-H planning/staff meetings
• Other duties as needed to support the 4-H program
• High School Diploma and 2 years of experience in teaching STEAM
• Ability to engage with youth in a positive manner
• Ability to effectively communicate with youth and adult audiences in person and in writing
• Ability to adhere to deadlines
• Ability to provide online experiences or virtual content
• Demonstrated organizational skills
• Computer literacy including care, maintenance, and upkeep
• Ability to problem solve and work independently without direct supervision
• The selected candidate will be required to pass a background check
• Valid Driver license and ability to pass USU Drivers Training Module
• Bachelor's Degree or working towards a bachelor's degree in a STEAM related field
• Prior teaching experience (formal or informal)
Along with the online application, please attach:
1. Resume/CV to be uploaded at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile under “Resume/CV”
2. Cover letter to be typed/pasted at the end of your application
3. 2 Letters of Recommendation to be uploaded at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile under “Documents 1-5”
**Document size may not exceed 10 MB.**
Employees work indoors and are protected from weather and/or contaminants, but not, necessarily, occasional temperature changes. The employee is regularly required to sit and often uses repetitive hand motions. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and may lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Utah State University (USU) was founded in 1888 and is honored to be Utah’s land-grant and space-grant university. USU is a Carnegie RU/H (Research University/High Research Activity) institution with approximately 27,700 students (24,660 undergraduates and 3,040 graduate students) on the Logan main campus. Utah State’s statewide system features eight campuses and 23 education centers and serves all counties in the state with Extension programs. USU offers 114 undergraduate majors, 132 graduate programs, and a variety of innovative stackable associate and certificate credentials. Washington Monthly ranked USU 14th in their national university rankings in 2019 and the 5th best public national university in the nation in 2018. As one of the two premier research institutions in Utah, USU is proud to provide a high-quality education at an affordable price. Additional information about Utah State University can be found here.
A core characteristic of USU is engagement with communities and people in economic development, improvements to quality of life, and human capital. Through the practical application of knowledge, the University and its faculty engage and share expertise with the state, nation, and world, preserving the historical land-grant tradition of partnering with communities to address critical societal issues in the interest of the public good.
The USU main campus is located in beautiful Logan, Utah; a city of about 50,000 situated in a picturesque mountain valley about 80 miles north of Salt Lake City. Outstanding recreational opportunities abound in the nearby mountains and proximate region.
Notice of Non-discrimination
In its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Utah State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state, or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or USU’s non-discrimination policies:
Executive Director of the Office of Equity Alison Adams-Perlac, email@example.com, Old Main Rm. 161, 435-797-1266
Title IX Coordinator Hilary Renshaw, firstname.lastname@example.org, Old Main Rm. 161, 435-797-1266.
For further information regarding non-discrimination, please visit https://equity.usu.edu/, or contact:
U.S. Department of Education Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 800-421-3481, OCR@ed.gov
U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, 303-844-5695, OCR.Denver@ed.gov
USU is sensitive to the needs of dual career couples and provides a Dual Career Assistance program to support careers for partners who are also seeking employment.
Software Powered by iCIMS